Saturday, June 18, 2005

Books, Books, Books

Hi Ya'll, welcome to Father's Day weekend, the holiday invented by tie manufacturers to clear inventory...(actually, I have had pretty good luck on Father's Day, tie-wise...I have a cool Tazmanian Devil tie I got on F-Day, not suitable for preaching but cool nonetheless).

Although I was fortunate enough to avoid memes for the first 7 or so weeks of bloglife, I have now been tagged with the infamous "book meme" and I will now dutifully answer the questions to the best of my ability...but could somebody tell me what "meme" means? I have no idea, and I am not one to refrain from asking a question just because the answer might make me appear stupid (well, actually I am, but I want to know anyway). Well, here are the questions and the answers--

Total Number Of Books Owned Ever: I have no idea--starting with "The Hardy Boys" through "Doc" Savage, through all of Heinlein's space operas, Asimov, Zelazny (Amber Series Best Ever), Heinlein's later works, Herbert, Niven, Farmer (Riverworld Series second Best Ever (even though I think he loses track of who all the characters are somewhere around the end of the third book)), Clarke, Piers Anthony (didn't care for Xanth after about 4 but mostly great stuff), on to theology, then law, then back to mostly theology--probably not 100,000 but more than 50,000.

Last Book Bought: Mastering Pastoral Counseling by Hart, Gulbranson and Smith

Last Book I Read: Double Play by Robert Parker (mostly known for Spenser, but this book is a fictionalized account of Jackie Robinson's first year in the majors off the field).

Five Books That Mean A Lot To Me: 1. The Bible; 2. The Tempting of America by the Hon. Robert Bork; 3. Things to Come by Dwight Pentecost; 4. Tie--Atlas Shrugged/The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand (I grew out of buying her philosophy completely, but her books affected me profoundly as a teen); 5. The Supreme Court by the Hon. William H. Rehnquist (Good read, solid history of the Court and Rehnquist's role in shaping the modern Court. Also gives insight into how things really work.)

Bonus: The Way Things Ought to Be by el Rushbo--Even liberals ought to borrow this book from a friend (You don't have to buy it and support the "Evil Rush Empire") and READ it... Rush is funny and reading his stuff should make it possible for you to see that he LOVES to get libs riled up by using hyperbole and satire. I have heard people call his show absolutely foaming at the mouth over stuff he said that every conservative listening knew was a joke--really, read it, you might like it.

OK, that's the meme--I will have to study up on who to pass it on to...(Kevin, look out...)

"Stop The ACLU" Blogbursters

Your Political Profile

Overall: 100% Conservative, 0% Liberal
Social Issues: 100% Conservative, 0% Liberal
Personal Responsibility: 100% Conservative, 0% Liberal
Fiscal Issues: 100% Conservative, 0% Liberal
Ethics: 100% Conservative, 0% Liberal
Defense and Crime: 100% Conservative, 0% Liberal
How Liberal / Conservative Are You?
HTML Now!