Monday, June 06, 2005

Blogging, Religious and Political...

I'm not much for thoughtful introspection here in this public forum, mainly because I don't think most people in the blogosphere care what I think about me, my wife, my kids, my dogs, my truck, my self-esteem, my yadda yadda yadda.

I know some people think we want to know all this stuff about them, but I just don't think I'm that fascinating--I did, however, want to address one comment I received earlier in the week--it basically said, "This is supposed to be a religious blog, so why do you talk about politics so much?" Although I think the person making the comment intended his remark to be offensive to me, I think it raises a good point, and I want to take a minute to answer it...

First--I appear to comment on politics a lot because my life is not "disconnected"--there's not "religion" and "everything else"--My Christian beliefs and worldview impact on every part of my life, and I don't see my commentary as religious or non-religious...it all reflects my beliefs. So the distinction between political blogging and religious blogging is a false one, in my view.

Second--Before I was a pastor, I was an attorney, and before that I managed several businesses, and I have always been interested in the law and politics...becoming a preacher doesn't take away your natural interests or turn you into a cloistered monk. I still like a little debate on the issues of the day from time to time.

Third, and lastly--Blogging is just an opportunity to develop my thinking on issues that might be presented to me by folks in my congregation...people are often interested in what the pastor thinks on an issue and why--and they would prefer not to receive a blank look and an "I dunno, never heard of that." So following topics of the day and reading different views and commenting on them is one way to stay on top of things...

It may not look "religious," since I don't post a "verse for the day" or trumpet hellfire and brimstone every day, but what I write reflects my faith in Jesus Christ and my understanding of God's Word to man, the Bible.

"Stop The ACLU" Blogbursters

Your Political Profile

Overall: 100% Conservative, 0% Liberal
Social Issues: 100% Conservative, 0% Liberal
Personal Responsibility: 100% Conservative, 0% Liberal
Fiscal Issues: 100% Conservative, 0% Liberal
Ethics: 100% Conservative, 0% Liberal
Defense and Crime: 100% Conservative, 0% Liberal
How Liberal / Conservative Are You?
HTML Now!